Monday, May 21, 2007

Nostalgia

I woke up at 9 pm today (night out the previous day), went through some interesting concepts from the book 'Elementary Probability' by David Stirzaker for about 3 hrs. Remembered that I was hungry and looked out the window to see that it was raining, as it usually does in Seattle. At this moment I was reminded of my life back at IITM where I had done similar crazy things. If this were my hostel room, I just had to cycle another 200 metres to reach gurunath which would have been closing at this moment.
I would have bought the milka cake or a similar cake along with one or two packets of mug noodles (its cold and raining outside, so I figure it would be nice to have something hot).
On the way back, I would have met a friend from Saras proceeding back to his hostel. I start farting with him on some worthless topic and that takes me to his room. I meet two more guys and we start talking about strategies in Quake and AOE and in the next moment we talk about how our 4th year is so different from the other 3 years we have spent in IIT. Muggus during the first two years, many change gears in the 3rd and 4th year, having found a way to beat the system. Now, my friend is in a mood to crash and starts driving junta away from the room.
"Macha, I have to crash da. I have a quiz tomorrow and I don't even know the portion for the quiz. So junta deesh." He says. I look at the time and see that its 4 am now.

I am halfway through my day, another 3 hrs and I would be sleeping comfortably on my bed with the windows wide open and the cool breeze, an after effect of the thunderstorm would linger around in my room. Ah.. that scent. After spending another 2 hrs in my room mugging for the same quiz my friend has no clue about, I decide to take a walk toward the stadium. I have fond memories of the stadium, the place where I spent almost every evening running 10 -15 laps during my 3rd year in the hopes of getting into the inter-iit team. Now, I notice that the day is just breaking out and despite the ground being wet and slushy, the freshness of the mist laden air captures my imagination. I am rooted at the same spot for a few more minutes as I contemplate my existence, my dreams, my victories and my losses. Moments like these make me look at life from an abstract, philosophical angle.
Meanwhile, I realize I am hungry again. I call my friend from Saras. He apparently crashed for 2 hrs and now is mugging for the quiz. We decide to head out to Hot Chips, an eat out just outside IIT. They are just opening up for the day and I order hot idly vada, pongal and filter kaapi. My friend orders masala dosa and coffee.
Nothing like having a full meal before you sleep during the day. We head back to our hostels, my friend to continue his mugging and I to enjoy my sleep for the few hours I can before the quiz.

Snapping back to reality, I realize I have two assigments due tomorrow and I am yet to make progress. Now it's 3 am, and the day has just begun.

No comments: