Wednesday, March 7, 2007

A case of mistaken identity

I was standing in line at the subway inside the hub(univ food joint and hangout..something like a gurunath+sac+clt in iitm put together in one building) during lunch time. There were around 8-9 people ahead of me and no one behind me. The queue moves ahead and then this guy, who I recognize to be an indian, comes along walking really fast with his head slightly tilted downward and to the left, and joins the queue behind me. A few minutes pass and I wonder where he is from.

Me: "Which department are you from?"
Him: 'Computer science department'
Me: "So are you a Phd student?"
Him: 'No I am teaching'
I bulb for a moment and then.....
Me: "So you... you are an assistant professor?"
Him: 'Yeah'
I am, needless to say, a little embarassed; but what can one do when the professor looks, walks, talks like a grad student. After some more small talk, I go my way.

No comments: